Have a Comment or Hot Deal to Share?
Send an email to jennsaves1@gmail.com

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Coupon Etiquette


Couponers seem to be getting a lot of bad press lately. If you have been coupon shopping for any amount of time you have probably come across resentment and contempt not only from other shoppers, but from cashiers and even other couponers.
There are some ways you can leave a nice impression.

1. BE NICE
This is the most important. No one likes to be met with an attitude or belittled. Remember that the person standing at the cash register or other staff are people too. They are working, they may be tired. This is not an excuse for them too be rude to you, but it makes being nice to them easier. If a problem arises with your coupon, keep your cool! Don't start yelling, belittling the cashier or beginning to make a scene. Keep your voice calm while being firm.

2. BE KNOWLEDGEABLE
Knowing your stuff is key to couponing. Be sure to always carry your store's coupon policy. Employees and even manager's are not always familiar with the coupon policy. It helps when you know what you are talking about. Having the coupon policy with you will make a discrepancy resolve smoothly and can even help to educate store staff. Remember, however, that different locations of the same store can interpret their coupon policy differently. Some cases are simply YMMV.

3. BE COURTEOUS
Being courteous includes being respectful of store staff and other shoppers. Always remember your manners. You will be surprised how far being courteous can get you! It also means being patient. On many occasions I have had to wait for minutes while a manager was called. While it was inconvenient, I stood patiently and waited. It almost always pays off. Remember you are not the only one in the store!

4. WATCH THE CLOCK!
Do not show up to a store coupons in hand right before closing or when they are their busiest. Not only will this anger the customers behind you, it will frazzle the cashier and could even distract you from fully paying attention to the transaction. The cashier might be more likely to make mistakes if they are anxious about closing and getting home. Also, if there is a problem with your transaction, you might be met with resentment from tired or over busy staff.

5.WARN
Whenever I am doing a big trip with coupons, I always let the cashier know I am using coupons before I begin. If there are other customers behind me, I will usually let them go before me if I have to do separate transactions.

6. DO NOT SHELF CLEAR
I have been tempted to clear the shelves of good deals. There is nothing like the feeling of hauling in bags and bags of items to add to your stockpile. I always try to remember that companies have sales so that everyone can get a good deal. I try to think of others when shopping. Although I do take plenty of items, I always make sure there are plenty for others. I know how frustrating it can be, with or without coupons, to get to the store only to find out that the item you want is all gone. Couponing can be a "you snooze, you lose" business, but I know if I do not get it one time, another opportunity will come along.

Following these tips can help you leave a good impression as a couponer and help all of us in the long run.

For more information about coupon etiquette, see the Coupon Information Corporation's post here.

Happy Shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment